Fuck, it works, but I’d have thought that more computer know-how would somehow let me finesse my solutions a bit more. As opposed to, you know, fucking beating them with a hammer. So, the PC I’m constructing and the problem I had getting an operating system onto it. I did wind up travelling into Sligo, and did venture inside Tesco to price blank DVDs: The price of blank media stopped me dead. I need one disc. A pack of fifty for fifteen euros, I just couldn’t justify, so I put it back on the shelf, left the store and went on with my Saturday shopping.
When I came home a whiles ago, I pulled the hard disk out of the tower and plugged it into my laptop. There I partitioned it with gparted, and then cloned my notebook’s Windows partitions with dd:
[root][mark] # dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096
640000+0 records in
640000+0 records out
2621440000 bytes (2.6 GB) copied, 106.572 s, 24.6 MB/s
[root][~] # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb2 bs=4096
10752000+0 records in
10752000+0 records out
44040192000 bytes (44 GB) copied, 1652.62 s, 26.6 MB/s
If the tower doesn’t boot after this then I may have to beat it to death with a stick.